Noted for their graceful and bountiful flowers, Speedwells (Veronica longifolia) are long-blooming, easy-care perennials that are prized by gardeners for the distinctive vertical lines they bring to the landscape. Their spiky flowers, in shades of white, blue, pink, purple or violet, rise like slender wands which enliven the garden with color and clouds of butterflies.
- Extremely showy, Veronica flower opens from the base upward from early to late summer. These attractive inflorescences are very decorative and are nicely complemented by the lance-shaped foliage.
- Growing in clumps, up to 2-4 feet high (60-120 cm) and 1-2 feet wide (30-60 cm), Veronica is a perfect choice for borders, cottage gardens, rock gardens or meadows. Exceptional as cut flowers too.
- Performs best in full sun or part shade, in average, medium, well-drained soils. Will thrive in rich and moist soils.
- Easy to grow, Speedwell requires very low care and is fairly disease-free (some susceptibility to mildew). It is attractive to butterflies and hummingbirds, but tolerant to rabbits and deer.
- Main Veronica cultivars:
Veronica 'Blauriesin' or 'Blue Giantess' with dense, erect, spikes of lavender-blue flowers throughout summer atop a grayish-green foliage of lance-shaped leaves. Rises up to 3-4 ft. tall (90-120 cm) and spreads 2 ft. wide (60 cm). Hardiness 4-8.
Veronica 'Blue John' with profuse spikes of purple-blue flowers throughout summer. Rises up to 3 ft. tall and wide (90 cm). Hardiness 4-8.
Veronica 'Charlotte' with dense, erect, spikes of brilliant white flowers throughout summer. Enjoys a good mildew resistance. Rises up to 2 ft. tall (60 cm) and spreads 18-24 in. wide (45-60 cm). Hardiness 4-8.
Veronica 'Eveline' with dense, erect, spikes of violet to purplish-red flowers throughout summer atop a dark green foliage of lance-shaped leaves. Rises up to 20 in. tall (50 cm) and spreads 12 in. wide (30 cm). Hardiness 4-8.
Veronica 'Royal Candles' with dense, erect, spikes of violet to purplish-red flowers throughout summer atop a dark green foliage of lance-shaped leaves. Rises up to 20 in. tall (50 cm) and spreads 12 in. wide (30 cm). Hardiness 4-8.
- Remove spent flowers to promote additional blooms. Midsummer shearing after the first flowering encourages healthy new basal foliage as well as late summer flowering. May require staking, specifically if your Veronica is grown in less than full sun conditions or if the soil is overly moist or fertile.