Changing color over the seasons, Abelia × grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope' (Glossy Abelia) is a dwarf, variegated, semi-evergreen shrub. Emerging bright yellow and lime-green in spring, its glossy oval leaves turn golden yellow in summer before taking on glowing orange and fiery red hues in fall. The leaf coloration does not burn or scorch in the hottest of weather. Opening from soft pink buds in late spring, an abundance of white, tubular, fragrant flowers covers the entire bush well into fall. 'Kaleidoscope'is reported to be the longest-blooming of all the Abelias. Perfect for small gardens or containers. Heat and drought tolerant.
- Grows up to 24-30 in. tall (60-75 cm) and 3-4 ft. wide (90-120 cm).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Best flower production and leaf coloration in full sun. Provide a sheltered location to help prevent hard freeze damage.
- Perfect as a specimen plant or in small groupings, as an informal hedge or in containers.
- Low maintenance, this plant is generally pest and disease free. Deer resistant.
- Blooms on new wood, so prune as needed in late winter to early spring. May need hard pruning every 3 to 4 years.
- Propagate by softwood cuttings in early summer or semi-hardwood cuttings in late summer for home use