You will be charmed by the bountiful long-blooming spikes of vivid red flowers of Mountain Fleece 'Firetail' (Persicaria amplexicaulis)! A real beauty for the border, Mountain Fleece 'Firetail' is a vigorous, upright perennial which enjoys an extremely long bloom season from midsummer to fall and features cheerful bright crimson-red fleecy flower spikes held on long, graceful wands atop bushy clumps of large, slightly puckered, dark green leaves.
- Typically growing up to 3-4 ft. tall and wide (90-120 cm), it thrives in average, medium to wet, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Best flowering occurs in full sun, however light shade will be appreciated in hot and humid summer areas.
- Trouble-free and easy care, this is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, where Persicaria amplexicaulis provides long summer to fall bloom in the perennial border. This is also an ideal candidate along ponds and streams or in naturalistic meadows. Excellent as a tall groundcover when planted en masse. Underplant it with spring blooming bulbs for color prior to the lush spring growth.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Attracts birds and butterflies, but deer and rabbits ignore it!
- Shear plants in fall if desired to remove spent flowers.
- All plant parts may cause skin irritation on contact and stomach upset if ingested.