Award-winning Acer palmatum 'Katsura' is a lovely deciduous shrub with a striking foliage, season after season. Emerging golden-orange with pink edges in early spring, the delicate foliage of small 5 to 7 lobed leaves matures to bright green in summer before turning brilliant shades of orange and yellow in fall. ‘Katsura' is a dense, compact Japanese Maple with a graceful vase-shaped habit that stands out boldly in the landscape. It is perfect for small gardens or containers.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its outstanding qualities
- Grows up to 10-12 ft. tall and wide (300-360 cm).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in moist, organically rich, slightly acidic, well-drained soils. Mulch helps retain soil moisture and keep roots cool. Best leaf color in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated. Leaf scorch can be caused by lack of soil moisture or excessive exposure.
- Perfect as specimen plant in cottage gardens, city gardens or for rock gardens and containers.
- Low maintenance, this plant needs little pruning. If pruning is necessary, prune during the dormant season and avoid pruning in spring when the sap is running. Fertilize in spring before the leaves emerge.
- May be affected by horse chestnut scale, aphids, verticillium wilt.
- Propagate by grafting or softwood cuttings