Native to South Africa, Agapanthus 'Northern Star' is a particularly striking African Lily with showy rounded clusters of dark blue, star-shaped flowers from mid to late summer. They rise on stiff, upright stalks atop clumps of beautiful, deciduous, arching leaves tinged with deep violet at the base.
- Easy to grow, pest and disease free, this African Lily is quite vigorous and grows up to 24-30 in. high (60-75 cm) from fleshly-rooted rhizomes.
- Thrives in full sun (part shade is tolerated), in fertile, moist and well-drained soil. Do not allow plants to dry out except when dormant.
- Spectacular when planted in great swathes, this Agapanthus fits most garden settings or mixed borders, makes a fantastic accent plant in containers and excellent cut flowers! A great choice for coastal areas as African Lilies cope well with windy and salty air.
- Deer and rabbit resistant, it attracts butterflies
- Plant crowns in spring, 2 inches below the ground (5 cm) and provide a dry mulch protection over winter.
- During the winter, pots or containers should be taken indoors.
- No need to cut down in the fall, as the seedheads look attractive over winter