For summer to fall exquisite beauty on easy care plants, few perennials can compare with Aster x frikartii 'Monch' (Frikart's Aster). One of the first Asters to bloom, this lovely perennial plant creates a bold splash of color in the landscape over an extraordinarily long season with masses of attractive, soft lavender-blue, star-shaped blossoms, 2 in. wide (5 cm), with slender rays and golden-yellow centers. Such a gentle color that it blends with almost any other color in the garden. Free flowering, well-branched with sturdy stems that do not need staking, this aster is easy to grow, trouble-free, mildew-resistant and a great source of nectar for butterflies!
- Blooming for weeks from midsummer to fall, this eye-catching beauty easily enlivens any sunny corner of the garden.
- Fast grower, up to 2-3 ft. tall (60-90 cm), with a bushy, open habit. The dark green foliage is disease-free.
- Thrives in full sun in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. It should be noted that this aster is not reliably hardy in zones 5 or 6. Drought tolerant, rabbit and deer resistant!
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Vital ingredient of late summer and fall borders, cottage gardens, prairies or butterfly gardens. Asters are also valued for the excellent quality of their cut flowers.
- Asters are a must if you are trying to attract birds or butterflies!
Aster x frikartii belongs to the Asteraceae family, which also includes yarrows, chrysanthemums, and sunflowers. The Genus Aster contains over 600 species and thousands of hybrid varieties, providing a wide choice to pick from, as they all vary in habit, height, flower color, leaf shape and growing conditions. This Aster is a cross between Aster amellus and Aster thomsonii.