One of the most popular variety of Japanese Silver Grasses, Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' is a spectacular ornamental grass grown for its abundant, purple-flushed, flower plumes on display in late summer. They delicately change to silver as they mature and provide excellent winter interest. They rise gracefully, well above an elegant foliage of narrow, arching, green leaves with white midribs. A fabulous focal point in the garden!
- Easily grows in a lovely, dense fountain-like clump, up to 5-6 ft. tall (150-180 cm) and 3-4 ft. wide (90-120 cm).
- Preferring full sun in moderately fertile, moist, well-drained soils, this Maiden Grass is generally pest and disease free! Protect from excessive winter wet
- Drought and salt tolerant, it is deer and rabbit resistant, but attracts birds.
- Very versatile, it can be used as a graceful accent plant in the garden, massed to create screens or hedges, planted in borders, coastal gardens, city gardens, cottage gardens or prairie plantings.
- Cut foliage to the ground in late winter before new shoots appear. Propagate by seed sown in pots in a cold frame in spring or by division in spring.
- The species form of Miscanthus sinensis is invasive in several US states. The invasive potential is of less concern for many of its ornamental cultivars, some of which are sterile. However, as a general rule, do not plant more than one cultivar on your property, and use only a vegetatively propagated cultivar that has shown little or no evidence of self-seeding in your area.