Opening from bright red flower buds, award-winning Crocosmia × crocosmiiflora 'Carmin Brilliant' features attractive sprays of 20 or more stunning, carmine-pink flowers adorned with golden yellow throats. The reverse of their petals is flushed with rich scarlet-orange and this ensemble contrasts beautifully with the crimson-purple calyxes and bronzy-purple stems. Blooming from midsummer through early fall, the brilliant flowers rise above handsome clumps of erect, medium green, sword-shaped leaves.
- Won the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Great perennial for the late season garden as it provides weeks of vibrant colors when many other perennials are starting to fade.
- Resembling the foliage of sword-lilies, Crocosmia's narrow, bladed leaves also provide interesting vertical accents in the borders.
- Grows up to 20-28 in. tall (50-70 cm) with a spread of 4-6 in. (10-15 cm) and begins to produce its lovely blossoms in the summer.
- Excellent border plant providing color and contrast to the perennial border. It looks spectacular in front of green conifers, among dark leaved dahlias and cannas or next to blue-flowering plants such as Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile), Aconitum (Monkshood) or Echinops (Globe Thistle). Should be planted in clumps of 12 or more.
- May be grown in containers - make sure you select a large pot with drainage holes.
- Makes wonderful cut flowers and will last up to 2 weeks in a vase.
- Easily grown in moderately fertile, humus-rich soil that is moist but well-drained. Thrives in full sun or partial shade where it will multiply rapidly and readily.
- Tolerant of summer heat and humidity, it is also drought tolerant (once established), salt tolerant, deer and rabbit resistant.