Elegant, Crocosmia × crocosmiiflora 'Babylon' features clumps of erect, bright green, sword-shaped leaves and delicate sprays of star-like, downward-facing flowers of rich red-orange that open wider than some of the more traditional varieties, revealing their scarlet throats, from midsummer through early fall. Extremely showy, this South African native is a magnet for hummingbirds and butterflies.
- Great perennial for the late season garden as it provides weeks of vibrant colors when many other perennials are starting to fade.
- Resembling the foliage of sword-lilies, Crocosmia's narrow, bladed leaves also provide interesting vertical accents in the borders.
- Grows up to 2-3 ft. tall (60-90 cm) with a spread of 8-20 in. (20-50 cm) and begins to produce its lovely blossoms in the summer.
- Excellent border plant providing color and contrast to the perennial border. It looks spectacular in front of green conifers, among dark leaved dahlias and cannas or next to blue-flowering plants such as Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile), Aconitum (Monkshood) or Echinops (Globe Thistle). Should be planted in clumps of 12 or more.
- May be grown in containers - make sure you select a large pot with drainage holes.
- Makes wonderful cut flowers and will last up to 2 weeks in a vase.
- Easily grown in moderately fertile, humus-rich soil that is moist but well-drained. Thrives in full sun or partial shade where it will multiply rapidly and readily.
- Tolerant of summer heat and humidity, it is also drought tolerant (once established), salt tolerant, deer and rabbit resistant.