Award-winning Tulip 'Black Parrot' is a dazzling whimsically-shaped tulip with fragrant dark purple flowers, almost flamed, and edged in black. As its large flower is exposed to the sun over time, it opens so wide that it almost flattens out, revealing its brilliant colors. Irresistible! Blooming in late spring, this spectacular tulip belongs to the Parrot Tulips group.
- Growing up to 16-24 inches tall (40-60 cm), this tulip creates dazzling harmonies with other late season flowering bulbs.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Performs best in full sun in rich, fertile, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Prefers areas with cool winters and warm dry summers.
- Easy to grow, this tulip is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, containers. For best visual impact, plant in groups (at least 10 to 15 bulbs) or mixed with any other flowering bulbs. Excellent as cut flowers!
- Although the stems of Parrot tulips are fairly strong, the great size of their flowers prompts one to plant them in sheltered spots in the garden.
- To be planted in fall.
- Eating may cause severe discomfort and may cause a skin allergy.
A symbol of spring, tulips are the most popular spring bulbs and most gardeners reserve them a spot in the garden or in containers. Grown for their attractive, vibrantly colored flowers, there are currently over 3,000 registered varieties, which are divided into fifteen groups, mostly based on the flower type, size and blooming period of the tulip.
Parrot Tulips are whimsically-shaped, unusually-colored tulips which have been developed from mutations of certain late-flowering tulips, and from tulips in the Triumph group. The petals of these tulips are serrated or "fringed". The flowers are green as buds, and as they grow it may seem as if the tulips will remain entirely green forever. But as the flower matures and opens, resembling a parrot's plumage, the brilliant colors are revealed. The flowers are somewhat sensitive to the effects of long-lasting cold and wet weather. These tulips typically grow up to 14-26 in. tall (35-50 cm).