Award-winning Tulip 'Esperanto' is incredibly pretty with its rose pink petals that fade to pale pink toward the base and soft green feathering atop a creamy-edged, silver-green foliage - a rich and amazing visual. Blooming in late spring, this spectacular member of the Viridiflora Tulips group enjoys long-lasting blooms (3 weeks!) and adds an elegant touch to a mixed or color-themed border.
- Growing up to 12 inches tall (30 cm), this beauty will create dazzling harmonies with other late season flowering bulbs.
- Awarded the prestigious Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Horticultural Society
- Performs best in full sun in rich, fertile, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Prefers areas with cool winters and warm dry summers.
- Easy to grow, this tulip is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, containers. For best visual impact, plant in groups (at least 10 to 15 bulbs) or mixed with any other flowering bulbs. Excellent as cut flowers!
- To be planted in fall.
- Eating may cause severe discomfort and may cause a skin allergy.
A symbol of spring, tulips are the most popular spring bulbs and most gardeners reserve them a spot in the garden or in containers. Grown for their attractive, vibrantly colored flowers, there are currently over 3,000 registered varieties, which are divided into fifteen groups, mostly based on the flower type, size and blooming period of the tulip.
At this time, Viridiflora Tulips form the least significant of the tulip groups. Many gardeners looking for unusual plants, however, quickly find what they want in this group. What makes these tulips so fascinating is that their petal color includes green, in stripes or flames on the back of the petals. Another of Viridiflora's assets is that its flowers remain beautiful a long time - a good three weeks. They work well as cut flowers and reach 16-20 in. (40-50 cm) in late spring.