One of the showiest of the tall Aloes, Aloe vaombe (Malagasy Tree Aloe) is a large evergreen succulent perennial forming a beautiful solitary rosette of curved, long, shiny, dark rich green leaves. The fleshy leaves are adorned with white teeth and turn vibrant deep red in winter or with bright exposure. This wonderful splash of red color in the winter garden is fabulous when coupled with the spectacular inflorescences, holding hundreds of bright scarlet flowers. This plant makes a dramatic focal point in sunny borders or decorative containers.
- Grows up to 8-12 ft. tall (240-360 cm) and 4-5 ft. wide (120-150 cm).
- Easily grown in well-drained soils in full sun or light shade. Water occasionally to little once established, though this plant grows much faster and more lushly with regular irrigation.
- Great for beds and borders, rock gardens, succulent gardens or Mediterranean gardens. Ideal as an accent plant in sunny borders or in decorative containers.
- Deer resistant. The flowers produce nectar and are attractive to birds and bees
- Virtually disease free. Watch for scale insects and mealybugs.
- Native to Madagascar