Both edible and ornamental, Vaccinium 'Sunshine Blue' (Highbush Blueberry) is a compact rounded deciduous shrub, with small oval silvery green leaves turning attractive shades of red and purple in the fall. In late spring, masses of pink flowers give way to abundant clusters of medium to small, delicious, sweet and juicy, dark blue blueberries which ripen in mid season (early-mid summer). More tolerant than most blueberries of high pH but this shrub does prefer slightly acidic, well-drained soil. Perfect for small gardens or containers.
Although blueberries are self-fertile, cross-pollination produces the best fruit crop (larger berries and larger yields). For optimal pollination and yield plant more than one variety with the same bloom time.
- Grows up to 3-4 ft. tall and wide (90-120 cm).
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is best grown in well-drained, moisture-retentive, organically rich, acidic soil. Plant in a sheltered site and provide a good organic mulch.
- Perfect for mixed shrub borders in city gardens, cottage gardens or coastal gardens. Can be grown as an hedge or in containers. Great fruiting shrub with Rhododendrons and Azaleas.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Watch out for vine weevil, powdery mildews, chlorosis (manganese and iron deficiencies).
- Prune as needed in late winter beginning in the third year after planting.
- Propagation: Take 4-6in (10-15cm) softwood cuttings in late spring or semi-ripe cuttings in early summer.