A butterfly magnet, Allium 'Millenium' is a bulbous perennial with profuse, large, rounded umbels, 2 in. across (5 cm), tightly packed with bright rosy purple flowers. Blooming in mid to late summer, the luminous flowers are borne on sturdy, upright stems just above the attractive foliage clump of onion-scented, grass-like, glossy deep green leaves, which remain attractive all season long. The flowers are both long lasting (up to 4 weeks) and excellent as cut flowers. This Allium is not bothered by heat and reseeding is much less a problem than in other alliums.
- 2018 Perennial Plant of the Year.
- Grows up to 15-20 in. tall (37-50 cm) and 10-15 in. wide (25-37 cm).
- Thrives in fertile, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Add grit to clay soils to improve drainage. Drought tolerant.
- Lovely in beds and borders, cottage gardens, rock gardens and containers. To achieve an impressive visual effect, plant in clusters.
- Attracts butterflies, but deer ignore it!
- Generally pest and disease free.
- Cut back after flowering or merely remove dead flowerheads.