Award-winning Ajuga reptans 'Catlin's Giant' (Carpet Bugle) is an evergreen perennial prized for its large, glossy purplish-bronze leaves, 6 in. long (15 cm), which quickly form a dense mat of attractive rosettes. Rising from the center of the rosettes are whorls of tiny blue-violet flowers arranged on spikes, 12 in. tall (30 cm), which create a striking display when in full bloom, from mid to late spring. Ajuga reptans is valued as a wonderful spreader making a colorful groundcover, which will thrive in shady areas where grass has difficulty growing.
- Gardeners treasure the showy foliage of Ajuga reptans and its carpet habit more than its flowers. Ground-hugging, this perennial plant grows up to 6-12 inches tall (15-30 cm) and 10-14 in. wide (25-30 cm), and remains attractive most of the year.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- A part shade to full shade lover, it thrives in average, medium, well-drained soils and tolerates almost any soils provided they are moist and humusy. Will tolerate full sun if constant moisture is provided.
- Provide good air circulation to avoid crown root problems. This plant is rabbit and deer resistant!
- A remarkably low-maintenance plant, this excellent performer is highly versatile and can be used in many situations: groundcovers, on banks or slopes, under trees or shrubs. It is also great in containers!
- Propagate by division, separating rooted stems.
- Generally pest free. Watch for powdery mildews
- May be mowed after flowering in order to get rid of the spent flower spikes and clean up the planting.