Adding vertical interest and delicate airiness to the perennial border, Cleome hassleriana 'Rose Queen' is a fast-growing annual plant with dramatic huge, loose balls, 5-6 in. across (12-15 cm) of sweetly fragrant, rose-pink flowers with fascinating long stamens that protrude out, giving them a spider-like look. Fading to pale pink as they mature, they rise above a handsome foliage of aromatic, palmate green leaves with a spine at the base of each leaf. The attractive blooms are followed by thin seed pods that will split open before dispersing the seed within. Blooming over a reasonably long period, from early summer until frost, Spider Flower remains attractive in the cold season thanks to its dried flower heads, which will be visited in fall by birds that feed on the seeds.
- Vigorously growing up to 4 ft. high (120 cm) and 18-24 in. wide (45-60 cm), Spider Flower is an ideal addition to beds and borders, cottage gardens, butterfly gardens and containers. Perfect in background plantings and mixed with shrubs. Group in clusters of 6 or more for best effect.
- Performs best in full sun or light shade in average, dry to medium moisture, well-drained soils. Heat and drought tolerant once established.
- May be grown from seeds. Sow seeds outdoors after all danger of frost has passed or indoors 6-8 weeks prior to the last spring frost date. Will freely self-seed under satisfactory growing conditions.
- Generally pest or disease free
- Fairly low maintenance, add this charming and graceful plant to the landscape and you will be rewarded with abundant happy butterflies, hummingbirds and birds!
- Rabbit resistant
- Promptly remove the seed pods if self-seeding is not desired
- Native to Paraguay, Argentina, Uruguay and southern Brazil