Considered one of the best of the purple foliage Heuchera cultivars, Heuchera 'Chocolate Ruffles' is a particularly attractive variety of Coral Bells with its foliage of deeply cut, rounded, long-petioled, heavily ruffled leaves which emerge coppery-pink, but mature to rich chocolate with deep burgundy undersides, providing a warm color contrast.
- In early-mid summer, masses of small, bell-shaped, purplish flowers bloom on strong purple spikes rising up to 30 in. (75 cm) above the semi-evergreen foliage. This Heuchera is prized by gardeners for its drought, heat and humidity tolerance.
- This clump-forming perennial forms basal mounds, up to 12 in. tall (30 cm) with a spread of 24 in. (60 cm). This sturdy performer is not only easy to grow, but also requires little maintenance and is virtually pest and disease free!
- Performs best in part shade, in rich, humusy, medium moisture, well-drained soils. If grown in full sun, make sure the soil remains consistently moist or the foliage might decline. Thrives in dry shade, once established. It is attractive to butterflies and often ignored by deer.
- A spectacular addition to beds, borders, rock gardens, woodland gardens and is ideal as groundcover, edger along paths or in containers. Fabulous when planted in groups!
- Divide clumps in spring every 3-4 years.
- Remove stems of faded flowers to promote additional bloom. Apply winter mulch after the ground freezes to help prevent root heaving.