Iris 'Clarence' is a striking Tall Bearded Iris with white standards tinted violet contrasting with the light blue-violet falls and creamy beard. Rising 35 inches high (89 cm) atop a lovely blue-green sword-shaped foliage, it is also a wonderful reblooming iris. As an added bonus, it is sweetly fragrant too!
- Easy to grow, it is deer and rabbit resistant, and quite drought tolerant once established.
- Won multiple awards (HM in 1995, AM in 1997 and Wister Medal in 2000) as an indication of its many fabulous qualities.
- Profuse bloomer, it produces up to 5-6 buds per stem and will bring its glorious and glamorous blooms in late spring or early summer and rebloom in late summer or early fall. Please note that bloom times depend very much on the weather.
- Performs best in full sun in humus rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils.Tolerates light shade but best flowering and disease resistance occur in full sun. Good soil drainage is essential to prevent rot issues.
- Grows from creeping rhizomes which store food produced by the sword-shaped, semi-evergreen leaves and form large clumps over time
- A welcomed addition to herbaceous borders, sunny courtyards or urban gardens where the sword-like foliage and vibrant color will combine harmoniously with the stones and angular hardscaping. Roses also provide a lovely backdrop to this tall variety.
- The best time to plant bearded irises is July through September. Container-grown iris can be planted in the spring.
- Ingestion may cause discomfort.
Bearded irises are classified by height and flower size into 6 groups. Since these groups bloom at slightly different time, combining specimens from different groups will extend your color display for a couple weeks.