A charmingly true and perennial tulip, Tulip 'Bright Gem' is an adorable little tulip with sulphur yellow, rounded flowers delicately flushed with apricot. The flowers are proudly held on short stems just above the narrow gray-green leaves. Wet, windy weather during its flowering period in mid spring-late spring will have little effect on ‘Bright Gem’! A member of the Botanical Tulips, this tulip is quite versatile in the garden.
- Growing up to 6 inches tall (15 cm), this tulip naturalizes easily and will form larger colonies with each passing year.
- Awarded the prestigious Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Horticultural Society
- Performs best in full sun to light shade, in rich, fertile, medium moisture, well-drained soils.
- Easy to grow, this tulip is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, edging, rock gardens or naturalized (grassy) areas. For best visual impact, plant in groups (at least 15 bulbs).
- To be planted in fall.
- Eating may cause severe discomfort and may cause a skin allergy.
A symbol of spring, tulips are the most popular spring bulbs and most gardeners reserve them a spot in the garden or in containers. Grown for their attractive, vibrantly colored flowers, there are currently over 3,000 registered varieties, which are divided into fifteen groups, mostly based on the flower type, size and blooming period of the tulip.
Botanical Tulips: it is generally assumed that about 150 different wild species exist in an area running roughly from Central Asia to Spain and Portugal. These are real early birds: they bloom before any other tulips. They catch the eye not only because of their extra early flowering but also because of their inflorescence and cheery range of colors. In addition, the graceful way the flowers open and their pretty foliage make them attractive before, during and after flowering. In other words, Botanical tulips are simply bursting with nice characteristics.