Award-winning Acer palmatum 'Chitose-Yama' is a medium-sized deciduous shrub with a striking foliage. Emerging rich purple red in spring, the seven pointed, lobed leaves mature to bronze green in summer. In the fall, the leaves turn bright crimson before shedding to the ground. This Japanese Maple enjoys a compact, mounding habit and is adequate for containers.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its outstanding qualities
- Grows up to 8-12 ft. tall (240-360 cm) and 10 ft. wide (300 cm).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in moist, organically rich, slightly acidic, well-drained soils. Mulch helps retain soil moisture and keep roots cool. Best leaf color in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated. Leaf scorch can be caused by lack of soil moisture or excessive exposure.
- Perfect as specimen plant in cottage gardens, city gardens or for rock gardens and containers.
- Low maintenance, this plant needs little pruning. If pruning is necessary, prune during the dormant season and avoid pruning in spring when the sap is running. Fertilize in spring before the leaves emerge.
- May be affected by horse chestnut scale, aphids, verticillium wilt.
- Propagate by grafting or softwood cuttings