Almost ever-blooming, Delosperma 'Jewel of Desert Grenade' (Ice Plant) is a vigorous, mat-forming, evergreen succulent with a profusion of fiery red and magenta, daisy-like flowers, 2 in. wide (5 cm). Blooming from late spring to the first frost, the blossoms are produced in such quantities that they literally cover the lush foliage of fleshy, blue-green leaves. The intensity of the flower color, combined with the long blooming season and evergreen foliage, reinforce the ornamental interest of this plant. An indispensable element of waterwise landscapes.
- Grows up to 4-6 in. tall (10-15 cm) and spreads vigorously to 8-10 in. (20-25 cm) or more.
- Thrives in full sun in dry, well-drained soils. Good drainage is essential to survival. Tolerates average to lean soils including sandy and gravelly ones. If conditions are too wet, it will suffer and grow poorly. Water sparsely during the growing season. Good heat and drought tolerance.
- Deer resistant but attractive to butterflies.
- Easy to grow, Delosperma is a good choice for areas of the garden that are sunny and dry. Excellent addition to border fronts, rock gardens, banks and slopes or naturalized areas. Delosperma makes a lovely groundcover and is perfect for containers.
- No serious insect or disease issues. May be occasionally affected by aphids and mealybugs.
- Native to South Africa