One of the most striking golden Sedge, award-winning Carex elata 'Aurea' or Bowles' Golden Sedge is a very distinctive ornamental grass with shimmering yellow blades and with fine green edges that curl gracefully towards the ground, delicately softening any landscape. Valuable for its stunning appeal, this highly decorative grass is one of the most beautiful ornamental grasses for the garden, where it provides a lovely contrast with other plants, mulch or gravel.
- Forming attractive upright tufts of evergreen, slender, hairlike, iridescent foliage that shimmers in slight breezes, it mixes beautifully with almost any flowering bulbs or perennial plants to create spectacular and elegantly mobile combinations.
- This is a graceful accent plant for beds, borders, near ponds or streams where its foliage can be reflected for double the pleasure. Excellent choice to brighten shady areas. Does well in containers too where it adds wonderful character and texture to your plant combinations.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society (1993)
- Growing easily in a dense fountain-like clump about 12-18 in. tall (30-45 cm) and 24-36 in. wide (60-90 cm), it enjoys full sun or part shade and thrives in moist, acid, fertile soils. It will even grow in shallow water 2-3 in. deep (5-7 cm).
- Deer and wet soil tolerant, it requires very little care and provides almost all year around interest.