Adding a jolt of color in any garden or container, Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold' (Hakone Grass) is a brilliant golden grass that literally gleams in the shade. Its bright foliage forms a cascading mound of gracefully arching, slender blades that tend to become chartreuse in shade, and pure gold in the sun. Holding its vibrant color from spring through summer, it develops a pinkish blush as fall arrives and eventually turns golden tan in winter, before dying to the ground. But what a beautiful death with its foliage lighting up dreary corners of the garden well into winter. Delicate looking, reddish-brown flower spikes appear in late summer, but are generally unnoticed among the leaves. Extremely adaptable, Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold' is a true beauty for shady combinations.
- Grown for its handsome and eye-catching foliage, this ornamental grass is a long-lived, tough and unlike most grasses, loves moist shady conditions.
- Typically grows in dense, spreading cascading mounds, up to 10-18 in. tall (25-45 cm) and 20 in. wide (50 cm).
- Easy to grow, resilient to pests and diseases, this ornamental grass requires little maintenance and is a fabulous addition to shady areas where it can grow as a superb accent plant, or an effective groundcover, along paths, around trees or in containers.
- Performs best in part shade, in consistently moist, humus rich and well-drained soils. Full shade is tolerated.
- Cut back foliage to the ground in late winter or early spring before the new shoots appear. Provide winter mulch.
- Best divided in spring. Though this grass does spread by rhizomes, it is a slow grower and it will not be necessary to divide this grass for many years.