Tall and spectacular, award-winning Queen of the Prairie 'Venusta' (Filipendula Rubra) is a splendid herbaceous perennial with large, elegant sprays of small deep pink flowers borne on leafy stems well above the foliage from early to mid summer. Pleasantly fragrant, the graceful blossoms mature to pale pink over time and are nicely complemented by deeply cut, bright green leaves that are equally fragrant. Tough, long-lasting, this U.S. native perennial is valued for both its leaves and its flowers.
- Growing up to 4-8 ft. high (120-240 cm) and 3-4 ft. wide (90-120 cm), Queen of the Prairie spreads rapidly by creeping roots. This upright, flowering perennial always provides drama in the garden and is quite effective at the back of the perennial border or in a mixed shrub borders. Perfect as an accent plant, it is also a great candidate for naturalistic plantings, prairie plantings, cottage gardens, wild gardens and along streams or ponds.
- Awarded the prestigious Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Horticultural Society
- Performs best in full sun or part shade, in fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained or poorly-drained soils. Provide consistent moisture as Queen of the Prairie is intolerant of drought. This will help the foliage to remain attractive throughout the growing season. Part shade is appreciated in hot climates.
- Easy to grow, it requires very low care and is pest and disease-free! Deer and clay tolerant!
- No deadheading required as the faded flower heads are decorative and it does not encourage rebloom. Cut back after flowering. Propagate by seed sown in containers in spring, or by division in spring. Freely self-seeds and can form large colonies in optimum growing conditions.