Abelia × grandiflora (Glossy Abelia) is a medium-sized, rounded, semi-evergreen shrub with gracefully arching branches, densely clothed with small glossy oval, dark green leaves and clusters of pink-tinged, white, bell-shaped flowers. Slightly fragrant, the blooms are produced continuously cover a long period extending from late spring to fall. The foliage turn purplish-bronze in the fall.
- Grows up to 3-6 ft. tall and wide (90-180 cm).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Best flower production in full sun. Provide a sheltered location to help prevent hard freeze damage.
- Perfect as a specimen plant or in small groupings, as an informal hedge, in shrub borders, or wall-side borders.
- Low maintenance, this plant is generally pest and disease free. Deer resistant.
- Blooms on new wood, so prune as needed in late winter to early spring. May need hard pruning every 3 to 4 years.
- Propagate by softwood cuttings in early summer or semi-hardwood cuttings in late summer