Armeria maritima (Sea Thrift) is a compact, low-growing evergreen perennial with attractive, pink to white, round clusters of tiny flowers born atop slender stalks that rise well above the foliage in mid spring to early summer. It forms a dense, mounded tuft of grass-like, dark green leaves that will spread slowly. Sporadic additional flowering may occur throughout the summer. A charming little plant that is ridiculously easy to grow and is perfect for edging walks or borders.
- Grows in clumps, only 6-8 inches tall (15-20 cm) and spreads 8-12 in. (20-30 cm). Clumps will spread slowly and will need dividing only when the plant centers become bare.
- Best in full sun or part shade, in well-drained soils. Thrives in loamy, sandy soils. Drought tolerant once established
- Virtually disease and pest free, it is deer tolerant and attracts bees and butterflies.
- A great perennial plant for edging, border fronts, rock gardens or massed as a ground cover for small spots
- Propagate by seed, division or basal cuttings