Deliciously honey-scented, Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina' (Late Dutch Honeysuckle) is a compact, slow-growing, twining deciduous vine with large, 2 in. long (4 cm), tubular, crimson-budded flowers that open to reveal creamy-yellow throats. Produced in succession from late spring to the first frosts, the fragrant flowers eventually give way to translucent red berries. Vigorous, this honeysuckle enjoys a foliage of dark green, oval leaves, bluish-green underneath. It is regarded as one of the best honeysuckles because it combines great flower color with powerful fragrance.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Grows up to 10-20 ft. tall (3-6 m) and 3-6 ft. wide (90-180 cm)
- A part shade lover, this plant is best grown in average, moist, well-drained soils. Tolerates full sun. Adapts to a wide range of soils, including clay soil, dry soil, but prefers moist, loamy soils.
- Excellent choice for covering walls, fences, trellises, pergolas or trees. Excellent for screening.
- Low maintenance, this plant is deer resistant and generally pest and disease free.
- Minimal pruning is required. Prune after flowering.
- Propagate by layering, hardwood cuttings or semi-hardwood cuttings