A favorite of many gardeners - and deservedly so - Hydrangea macrophylla 'Endless Summer' is an exceptional mophead cultivar for 2 reasons. Firstly, its unique ability to bloom on both old and new growth, giving it the ability to bloom consistently and provide gorgeous flowers all summer long as flower buds are produced not only in the fall but also in spring and summer.
Secondly, it enjoys an excellent winter hardiness, which makes flowering quite reliable, regardless of winter temperature.
- The flowers grow up to 8 in. wide (20 cm), pink in alkaline soils or blue in acidic soils. To change their color, add aluminum sulfate to the soil to make the flowers bluer or add lime to the soil to make them pinker. Treatment should occur ahead of time (late fall or early spring).
- Vigorous, this deciduous shrub enjoys a round habit, typically growing 3-5 feet tall and wide (90-150 cm). Foliage is dark green with serrated leaves.
- A part shade lover, it is best grown in rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Full sun is tolerated if constant moisture is provided.
- Excellent resistance to insects and diseases.
- Perfect from foundation plantings to container plantings. Massed in a sheltered location or as an accent plant. Effective as a hedge and makes excellent cut flowers too!
- Remove spent flowers to promote new blooms.
- This beautiful deciduous shrub should be pruned after flowering by cutting back the stems to a pair of healthy buds. Prune out weak or winter-damaged stems in early spring.
- Can cause mild stomach upset if ingested and contact with foliage may aggravate skin allergies.