A deservedly popular White Fir, Abies concolor 'Compacta' is a slow-growing dwarf evergreen conifer of great beauty. It forms a dense, compact mound of irregular, spreading shape, unless it is sheared to a conical form. Its branches are beautifully clothed with long and slender, powder-blue needles that brighten up the garden and contrast with the green landscape. Brown to purple rounded cones appear upright on the branches after several decades of growth.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Grows up to 18-30 in. high (45-75 cm) and 24-40 in. wide (60-100 cm).
- Performs best in full sun or part shade in rich, slightly acidic, moist, well-drained soils. This tree thrives in areas with long winters followed by cool summer climates.
- Perfect for city gardens, rock gardens or containers.
- Virtually disease free. Watch for aphids and adelgids. Easy to grow, easy to care for and rarely browsed by deer.
- No pruning required.
- Propagate by seed or grafting
- Native to the USA and Mexico.