Achillea millefolium (White Yarrow) is a graceful perennial wildflower which produces an abundance of huge, flat clusters, 5 in. across (12 cm), packed with 20-25 creamy-white flowers. They are born on tall stems atop a pleasantly aromatic, green, fern-like foliage that is disease resistant. Both flowers and foliage are attractive and long-lasting, making White Yarrow a wonderful garden plant and a great choice for prairie or meadow plantings.
- Blooms for weeks from early to late summer, this eye-catching beauty easily enlivens any sunny corner of the garden.
- Easy care, drought, heat, humidity, deer and rabbit tolerant, this Achillea is a perennial that is rich in many qualities aside from its good looks!
- Grows up to 24-36 in. tall (60-90 cm) and 12-18 in. wide (30-45 cm) in sturdy, upright clumps.
- Thrives in full sun in average, dry to medium moisture, well-drained soils. Light shade is tolerated, but best coloring and flowering is obtained in full sun. Dry soils are also tolerated. Avoid rich, moist soils which would cause your Yarrow to get floppy or leggy. Good drainage is essential.
- Vital ingredient of herbaceous borders, cottage gardens, rock gardens, coastal garden, meadows or prairies. Yarrow is also valued for the excellent quality of its cut flowers, whether in bouquets or dried floral arrangements.
- Yarrows are a must if you are trying to attract butterflies!
- Deadheading will extend the bloom season and prevent your yarrow from spreading by seed. Cutting back after initial flowering will promote a rebloom. This plant self seeds actively and can naturalize quickly if not monitored.
Achillea, commonly known as Yarrow, belongs to the Asteraceae family, which also includes asters, chrysanthemums, and sunflowers. The genus was named after Achilles, hero of the Trojan Wars in Greek mythology, who used the plant to stop the bleeding and heal the wounds of his soldiers. Achillea millefolium (Common Yarrow) is native to most of Europe and temperate parts of western Asia. Brightening the garden throughout the summer, this perennial plant is versatile, easy to propagate and available in a wide range of sizes and colors.