Smooth Hydrangea 'Incrediball' (Hydrangea arborescens) is both reliable and gorgeous with its large, showy snow balls (up to 12 in. or 30 cm across) that brighten shady areas and bring life to the garden from mid to late summer. Blooming for weeks, 'Incrediball' offers a spectacular color show starting with lime-green pom-poms in late spring, changing from cream to brilliant white for weeks, then back to pale green in late summer before switching to a tan shade in the fall. Unlike many other hydrangeas, 'Incrediball' enjoys sturdy stems that hold the flowerheads upright and prevent them from flopping.
- Vigorous, this deciduous shrub typically grows up to 5 feet tall and across (90-150 cm).
- A part shade lover, this plant is best grown in average, medium, well-drained soils. Full sun is tolerated if constant moisture is provided. But it is drought intolerant!
- Mass in mixed shrub borders for dramatic summer blooms, in front of walls, fences, taller shrubs and trees.
- Since 'Annabelle' blooms on new wood, pruning has to happen late winter or early spring to encourage vigorous growth. The harder you prune (even to the ground), the larger the flowerheads will be.
- Can cause mild stomach upset if ingested and contact with foliage may aggravate skin allergies.