Noted for its upright stems that do not flop, Hydrangea arborescens 'Incrediball' (Smooth Hydrangea) is both a reliable and gorgeous flowering shrub. In early summer, it produces huge, rounded flower clusters, up to 12 in. across (30 cm), that brighten shady areas and bring life to the garden. Blooming for up to two months, the blossoms open lime-green, mature to brilliant white, then back to pale green in late summer before switching to a tan shade in fall. The blossoms contrast nicely with the foliage of dark green leaves.
- Vigorous, this deciduous shrub typically grows up to 5 feet tall and across (90-150 cm).
- Smooth hydrangea can be grown in full sun or dappled shade (the hotter the climate, the more shade is needed) and is surprisingly drought tolerant. Best grown in average, medium, well-drained soils. Full sun is tolerated if constant moisture is provided.
- Perfect for the shrub or mixed border, wonderful planted as a flowering hedge, excellent backdrop for your favorite perennials.
- Since Smooth Hydrangea blooms on new wood, pruning has to happen late winter or early spring to encourage vigorous growth. The harder you prune (even to the ground), the larger the flowerheads will be.
- Can cause mild stomach upset if ingested and contact with foliage may aggravate skin allergies.