Very fragrant, adaptable and beautiful, Geranium macrorrhizum 'Czakor' (Cranesbill) makes lovely, semi-evergreen groundcover in the garden. This hardy geranium creates a thick mat of fragrant, rounded, light green leaves, topped with abundant clusters of magenta flowers in late spring to early summer. The lush foliage takes on attractive purple tints in the fall, extending the season of interest of this plant.
- This geranium enjoys a refined spreading habit and will easily spread in the garden by rhizomes. May also self seed.
- Grows up to 8-12 in. tall (20-30 cm) and 2-4 ft. wide (60-120 cm).
- Clump-forming and vigorous, this sturdy performer is not only easy to grow, but it also requires very little maintenance and is pest and disease free!
- Performs best in full sun or part shade, in average, dry to medium moisture, well-drained soils. Tolerates full sun in cool summer areas. Drought tolerant, once established, it is attractive to butterflies but deer and rabbit resistant. More tolerant of heat and humidity than other geranium species.
- No need to cut back or trim after flowering. Remove flowered stems and old leaves to encourage the production of fresh leaves and flowers
- A perfect border plant, it is a spectacular addition to beds, borders, cottage gardens, gravel gardens, underplanting roses and shrubs and is an excellent choice as a groundcover.
- Propagate by division in spring or propagate by basal cuttings in early to mid spring and root with bottom heat