Incredibly floriferous, Helleborus 'Walberton's Rosemary' or 'Walhero' is the pretty result of a cross between Helleborus niger (Christmas Rose) and Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten Rose). Opening from rich pink flower buds, plentiful star-shaped, clear pink flowers with pointed and slightly ruffled petals, appear from late winter to mid spring. Veined with white, they are adorned with a central white glow and occasional dark pink freckles. Over time, the flowers take on rich, glowing salmon tones before slowly turning green. Unlike most hellebores, the flowers face outward attracting interest. These dainty beauties rise on sturdy stems high above a particularly handsome foliage of leathery, evergreen leaves. Showy and long-lasting, 'Walberton's Rosemary' is extremely vigorous, establishes quickly, and is sterile, therefore it blooms for an extended period of time and will not produce inferior seed.
- Grows in a bushy, upright clump, up to 12-18 in. tall (30-45 cm) and 18-24 in. across (45-60 cm).
- Performs best in part shade to full shade, in rich, humusy, moist, alkaline, well-drained soils. Lenten Roses are very tolerant and will grow well in most soils as long as the ground is not extremely dry or stagnantly waterlogged. Select a sheltered site to protect them from cold winter winds. Deer resistant!
- Easy to grow, this plant is a welcomed addition to shady borders, containers, under trees or large shrubs, woodland gardens or naturalized areas. Plant in groups for best visual impact. Lovely groundcover when massed
- Virtually disease and pest free but watch for slugs and aphids.
- Remove faded flowers stems (unless you require seed) to promote new growth and for a neat appearance.
- Ingestion may cause severe discomfort; skin irritant.