Evergreen, award-winning Achillea 'Moonshine' is highly prized by gardeners for its pleasantly aromatic, silver-green feathery foliage and its long-lasting, conspicuous, bright lemon-yellow flat umbel flowers. Vital ingredient of herbaceous borders, cottage gardens, meadows or prairies, this Yarrow typically blooms for weeks from late spring to late summer in a beautiful color display. Paired with flamboyant crocosmia, daylilies or with the ice cool blue salvia, it creates eye-catching plant combinations and enlivens any sunny corner of your garden!
- Easy care, drought, heat, humidity, deer and rabbit tolerant, this Achillea is a perennial that is rich in many qualities aside from its good looks!
- Grows up to 2 feet tall (60 cm) in an upright clump of cheerful lemon-yellow flowers over the finely cut evergreen foliage.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Thrives in full sun in average, dry to medium moisture, well-drained soils. Light shade is tolerated, but best coloring and flowering is obtained in full sun. Dry soils are also tolerated. Avoid rich, moist soils which would cause your Yarrow to get floppy or leggy. Good drainage is essential.
- Vital ingredient of herbaceous borders, cottage gardens, meadows or prairies. This Yarrow is also valued for the excellent quality of its cut flowers, whether in bouquets or dried floral arrangements.
- Yarrows are a must if you are trying to attract butterflies!
- Deadheading will extend the bloom season. Cutting back after initial flowering will promote a rebloom.
Achillea, commonly known as Yarrow, belongs to the Asteraceae family, which also includes asters, chrysanthemums, and sunflowers. The genus was named after Achilles, hero of the Trojan Wars in Greek mythology, who used the plant to stop the bleeding and heal the wounds of his soldiers. Achillea millefolium (Common Yarrow) is native to most of Europe and temperate parts of western Asia. Brightening the garden throughout the summer, this perennial plant is versatile, easy to propagate and available in a wide range of sizes and colors.