Looking great all year around thanks to its neat and tight bloom habit, Award-winning English Lavender 'Folgate' is a fabulous Lavender variety with iridescent violet-blue flowers. A top choice for cut flowers, this lavender is one of the first to bloom. Sweetly fragrant.
- Hardy, Lavender 'Folgate' has been proven to withstand cold temperatures and comes back year after year.
- Blooms once in mid to late spring (early to mid May). Lavenders blooming once may enjoy a second smaller flush of flowers during the season and maybe a third one if the flowers are cut soon enough.
- Evergreen in warm winter climates, it typically grows in a bushy shrub, up to 30 in. tall and (75 cm) and 30-36 in. wide (75-90 cm). Foliage of gray-green narrow, small leaves.
- This perennial is very versatile and can be used for low hedges, perennial borders, containers, rock gardens or herb gardens. Its fragrant flowers may be dried and used in potpourris. Spectacular effect when planted en masse.
- Thrives in full sun and performs best in dry to medium, poor, light, sandy, alkaline, well-drained soils. Excellent drainage and air circulation are essential, specifically in hot, humid climates.
- Drought, deer, rabbit and dry soil tolerant and a real magnet for bees and butterflies!
- Won the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society (2012) for its noteworthy qualities.
- Trim back in spring to encourage bushier growth. Remove spent blooms to encourage new blooms.
English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), also called True Lavender or Common Lavender, is a type of lavender often associated with the famous purple lavender fields of Provence. Despite its common name, it is not native to England, but to the Mediterranean and counts over 40 different cultivars with flower spikes varying from blue-purple, lavender, violet-blue to white-pink. They create drifts of "cool" colors that sway elegantly in the summer breeze atop a beautifully contrasting gray-green to green-purple foliage of narrow leaves. Growing up to 2-3 ft. tall (60-90 cm), this Lavender type is great for formal or informal edging perennial along walkways, raised walls, and borders; also planted in beds, rock gardens, and in mass plantings. This is also the "queen of herbs" for herb gardens.