Winter hardy, award-winning Rosa 'Constance Spry' is the first of David Austin English roses. This truly remarkable Rose produces sumptuous, huge, 4 in. wide (10 cm), deeply cupped, rounded double flowers full of soft pink petals (26-40 petals). Rich of a strong, sweet myrrh fragrance, 'Constance Spry' is a vigorous, strong-growing, medium to large spreading shrub with generous foliage. It may be grown as a medium-sized climber as its flexible canes are easy to train - and the more they are twisted horizontally around a support, the more profuse the flowering will be the following year since this superb rose flowers on old wood.
- Blooms overwhelmingly for 4 weeks once in late spring or early summer.
- Grows up to 4 ft. tall (120 cm) as a shrub and up to 9 ft. as a climber (270 cm). Spreads 6-10 ft. (180-300 cm). An excellent choice for beds, borders and wall-side borders. Plant it where you will be able to enjoy its perfume daily: near a doorway, along a path, near your patio or deck. Excellent cut flowers.
- Highly popular, this lovely Rose won many prestigious awards, including the Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Best grown in full sun, in rich, fertile with adequate moisture, well-drained soils. Tolerates some shade.
- Susceptible to mildew and rust. Provide good air circulation to prevent humidity.
- Introduced in 1961 by David Austin, this lovely rose has been named after the famous English floral designer.
David Austin’s English Roses combine the flower forms and perfume of Old Roses with the color range and repeat-flowering habits of modern roses. As Rose breeder, David Austin’s achievement is in marrying the romantic “English Rose” look with reliable garden performance, vigorous growth, full bushes, disease-resistance and prolific season-long bloom. Over 200 English Roses have been released since 1961, many of them receiving the highest rewards.