Ludisia (Jewel Orchid) - Expert Tips for Gardening Success
The Ludisia, commonly known as the Jewel Orchid, is prized more for its striking velvety foliage than its flowers. Here are expert tips to help this unique orchid thrive:
- Thrive best in standard houseplant soil or a blend of medium-coarse bark combined with a hint of sphagnum moss.
- Desires moderate light without direct sunlight exposure. Ensure consistent airflow all year long.
- In summer, optimal night temperatures range between 70-72°F (21-22°C), and daytime around 80°F (27°C).
- Winter nights should average 48-53°F (9-12°C) with daytime temperatures of 59-64°F (15-18°C).
- High humidity (85-90%) is preferred. Use a tray of moist pebbles beneath the plant to achieve this.
- Water consistently throughout the year. Drench the plant, let it slightly dry, then water again. Prevent water stagnation at the base.
- Like most orchids, use a balanced fertilizer at half strength every two weeks.
- To propagate: Place broken fleshy stems in sphagnum moss. Once roots appear in around 6 weeks, transfer them to standard houseplant soil after 6 months.
- Post-blooming, trim away the withered flower stalks.
- Typically free from diseases. Monitor for signs of aphids, red spider mites, mealybugs, and avoid over-watering to prevent root rot.