Noted for its pretty bicolor flowers, Salvia 'Hot Lips' is an evergreen perennial that will reward you with a profusion of eye-catching, brilliant red and white flowers from early summer to frost. Borne in loose terminal racemes, the blossoms are lipstick red in early summer, turn vivid red and pure white in mid-late summer before changing to white when the days shorten. Enjoying a long blooming season, they rise above a handsome bush of small, ovate, aromatic green leaves. The very attractive flower stalks are of great aesthetic appeal in beds or borders and attract scores of butterflies, hummingbirds and beneficial insects.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society.
- Grows vigorously up to 3 ft. tall and across (90 cm).
- Thrives in full sun, in moderately fertile, moist, well-drained soils. Best flower production in full sun but can tolerate light partial shade. Drought tolerant once established.
- Low maintenance, this Salvia is perfect for beds and borders, and well suited to coastal gardens, cottage gardens or containers.
- Deer and rabbit resistant
- Propagate by basal cuttings or softwood cuttings in spring or early summer or semi-hardwood cuttings in late summer or autumn with bottom heat