With leaves resembling jelly beans, award-winner Sedum x rubrotinctum is a low growing, evergreen perennial with chubby leaves, about 1 in. long (2.5 cm), which spiral around the stem. Red at the tips with exposure to heat or cold, the leaves turn almost entirely red in summer before changing back to bright green in winter. The sprawling stems root readily where they contact the soil. Abundant bright yellow star-shaped flowers appear in winter and early spring. A tender perennial that can survive an occasional freeze, this Sedum is a great companion plant to other succulents and is a wonderful choice for the rock or succulent garden or in a decorative container or hanging basket.
- While this is a sun lover in areas with mild summers, in hot climates it needs some afternoon shade to protect the foliage from burning.
- Recipient of the Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Easy to grow, this standout perennial forms a compact, trailing groundcover which grows up to 4-8 in. tall (10-20 cm) and 10-12 in. wide (25-30 cm).
- Excellent for rock gardens, succulent gardens or Mediterranean gardens. Perfect for containers where spectacular floral arrangements can be created.
- Best grown in full sun in mild summer areas or in part shade in hot climates, in dry, well-drained soils.
- Drought and heat tolerant once established.
- Low maintenance, this Sedum forgives neglect!